I have some good news.
The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in Canada. Thousands of Canadians are risking money, time, and their reputation to follow their dream of owning a business and controlling their own destiny.
I have some very sad news.
Out of roughly 2000 businesses I've been to I estimate that in the next 6 months 40% of them will be out of business, in the next 12 months 40% of the remainder will be gone and in 18 months there will only be about 300 businesses left operating and many of them will be changed from what they are today.
Why? What happens to these wonderful ideas and people? Why does their dream crash and burn?
I don't know all the reasons businesses fail but I do know one... INVISIBILITY.
What do I mean?
Many business owners choose to be invisible to the thousands of people looking for their products or services. They invest in signs, rent or buy a location, set up a website, tell their friends and families, hire staff, print business cards and stationary but they stop short of investing in the one thing that will guarantee that people will find their business when they need what the business offers...
What is it?
Advertising on the internet.
In the days before the internet every business was listed in the Yellow Pages. The Yellow Pages have almost disappeared and Google rules the world.
Many of the business owners I speak with tell me they tried advertising on the internet and it didn't work. Other business owners tell me they get all their business from referrals. Some have told me that they don't believe in Google. I have been told that it costs too much. I have been told my friend, spouse, daughter, son, uncle, neighbour, boyfriend, girlfriend or some other interested but untrained person handles their "Google stuff" and their website.
What it really boils down to is FEAR. They are INVISBLE because they are AFRAID to invest in the most effective, affordable, highest visibility, most searched advertising medium in the universe... Google Ads.
I speak from personal experience and then from getting an education in advertising on Google.
My experience... my writing business slowly dying because I didn't put money into the most affordable advertising I have ever seen. I still write and earn money from it but in order to afford it I work full time. That will be changing soon. I am getting Google Adword certified and I sell Online Media Advertising.
Here are a 8 things every business owner should know about becoming VISIBLE to the people who want or need their products or services.
1) In 2015, 89% of Canadians used the internet to search for the products or services they bought.
2) In 2015, 59% of Canadians used their smartphone to start their search and many of them called or ordered directly from their phone.
3) SEO, Search Engine Optimization doesn't guarantee that a business will get found when people are looking for the products or services the business offers.
4) You can set up your advertising so that your ad's will show up on the front page of Google.
5) You can set up a campaign that gets your ad's on the front page of Google and it doesn't cost anything unless somebody clicks on your ad because they are looking for what you offer.
6) If your website isn't mobile friendly you are losing business.
7) If your website is too flashy, hard to follow, or the content is poorly written people will abandon it.
8) An abandoned blog costs you credibility. (I speak from experience.)
As you can tell I want to help people stay in business and make more sales. I think small business owners are the financial backbone of Canada because every big business in Canada started as a small business.
To your success,
Want to know more? Call 905-999-6153 or email me by clicking here.