1) We don't want to hire anybody to do that.
2) We don't need one. We're getting lots of business.
3) We did one once and it didn't work.
4) I don't have time to write one.
Ladies and gentlemen, if you don't have a marketing plan where is your business going to come from?
Here's a complete marketing plan layout in 7 questions. (I’ve put my answers below each question.)
1) What is the purpose of your marketing?
(I’m going to get 20 people to subscribe to my newsletter service every month.)
2) How and why are you going reach your marketing goal?
(I supply a quality newsletter service at an affordable price that helps business owners and sales people make more sales and stay in touch with their clients, prospects and referral sources.)
3) Who is your target market?
(My target market is loyal business owners and sales people who want to increase their sales faster and easier without spending a lot of money.)
4) How will I reach my marketing goal?
(I will print and mail 200 newsletters every month to business people I know. I will distribute my newsletter to a total of 500 business owners and sales people every month. I will advertise using Google Ad words to increase my websites visibility and sales. I will attend 2 networking events every month. I will host my own networking event once a month.)
5) What makes people choose your business? (Price, service, location etc?)
(My clients will use my newsletter service because I’m priced fairly in the marketplace, they can personalize their newsletters and because I will provide them with the support they need to use their newsletters successfully.)
6) Who am I, what’s my image?
(I’m a published writer who likes to help people succeed. I’m knowledgeable about many different marketing techniques and I share my knowledge.)
7) What is your marketing budget?
(I won’t be publishing this on my blog but I’ve set a spend rate for Google Ad words and a percentage of every sale goes into my marketing and advertising budget.)
So what's your plan? How long will it take to put your plan together?